Thursday, January 2, 2014

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

It's been a while since I wrote a post here, and things have been extremely busy.  Lots of stuff to catch up on.

The Modern Home was released over at Renderosity at the end of November and became my fastest selling product, outpacing the Farmhouse by a large margin.  This was quite a pleasant surprise, as I'd been expecting sales around 75% to 80% of what they ended up being.  The launch was a pretty big success all around.


Right on the heels of that, I was contracted by Renderosity to provide a Grand Ballroom interior scene, which I wrapped up just before Christmas and will be released tomorrow morning.  I think it came out pretty well, and it's easily the largest scene I've built to date.  All told, the ballroom is over 11,000 square feet, with a 2200 square foot dance floor, a grand staircase, arches and pillars, and a fireplace.  The chandeliers were pretty fun to put together and built materials.  I had to build similar materials for Daz Studio and for Poser, which use different renderers.  I think everything came out well.  Hopefully sales will be strong tomorrow for the launch.  Head on over and pick one up!


In the meanwhile, during the months of November and December, I was also busy teaming up with Adam Finlayson, Lyle Tucker, and Aaron Jones in forming a new 3d production company we're calling Collective3d.  Collective3d's first major project is going to be the Blue Collar Neighborhood, based on the postwar auto manufacturing neighborhoods in and around the city of Detroit.  The Neighborhood is going to consist of dozens of brick ranches and bungalows with a full environment and lots of other goodies.  The first products are getting into testing now at Daz3d and should be seeing release sometime later this month or February.



In addition to the Bungalow, I am working on five low poly, exterior-only variations for fleshing out a complete neighborhood, as well as a matching 2 car garage.  But the fun doesn't stop there.  Hot on the heels of the success of the Modern Home, I am also in active development on Modern Home 2, which is going to become a series of antique style kit homes from the catalogs of companies such as Sears, Montgomery Ward, Aladdin, and others from the turn of the 20th Century.  And a little further down the line will  be a strip mall and a church for the Blue Collar Neighborhood, which are in the early design phases now.



It's going to be a busy 2014, and I will  be doing my best to keep up to date on the blog as things develop.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment