Monday, February 28, 2011

Updating Textures

So I decided I wasn't entirely happy with the textures for the Enterprise model I posted a few months back, and have decided to re-do them.  It's still in-progress, but I have mostly completed re-texturing the saucer section and refining the model in a couple areas (such as re-doing the shuttle bay doors and ironing out a few oddly tessellated bits).

For the new textures I used for reference photographs taken of the original 11 foot studio model as it was unpacked (in pieces) for restoration; photos of the restored model as it sits now in the Smithsonian, and the nicely detailed coloring of the ship schematics in the Haynes workshop guide to the Enterprise (which agrees for the most part with the aforementioned sources).  I also used high definition screenshots of the remastered model from the original series blu ray sets, although I have tried to stay more true to the original studio model than the new CG interpretation.

The engineering hull and warp engines still need to be re-painted, but it's coming along.  For comparison, here is a shot of the first texture before I began work re-painting it:


And here are several shots of the new paint and texture work:





Let me know what you think of the new paint design!

No comments:

Post a Comment